Tuesday, April 6, 2010

My Gear - Camera - Canon 450D

The question I am asked most is probably what camera to get. The important things to consider with that are your budget, your intended use for the camera and how long you think it will be until you upgrade, if you wish to upgrade at all.

I purchased a Canon 450D in November 2008 with this EF 18-55mm kit lens for about 1000 dollars + a canon bag, not a bad deal. I shot about 60,000 photos with it until it stopped working from liquid damage. It wasn't covered under warranty so I had to buy a new one :( I have probably taken about 15,000 on the new one.

This is an amazing camera. Don't be fooled into getting a more expensive camera - the quality of your photos will depend so much more on your lens and shooting technique. I shoot events, sports, live music, landscapes and portraits with this camera and I've never felt limited by it in terms of speed or quality. I would love it to be a bit tougher and more weather-sealed, but if you treat it as it should be treated you will never have a complaint.

I have added a battery grip to mine, which gives you room for an extra battery (handy on trips to places without power) and a vertical shutter button for better control with sport and portraits.

There are upgrades to this, the 500D, 550D, and 50D, but if anyone asks me what camera to get the 450 is usually my number 1 recommendation. The only advantages to the 500D and 50Dare video and a couple more megapixels (which DON'T MATTER). The advantage to the 50D is speed, ruggedness, and autofocus - so if you're keen to shoot a lot of sport, it is actually worth a look. For any other kinds of shooting, I can't spot any big difference. The best option is to save a bit of money getting this camera and spend it on good lenses.

Other recommendations are Nikon D5000 and D90 - both brilliant. Nikon and Canon are the absolute no-brainers in terms of SLR cameras.

The best places to get these in Australia are www.camerasdirect.com.au, www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au, www.d-d-photographics.com.au. Just make sure you get a few years warranty.

In America I would choose amazon.com or adorama.com - I wish I could buy my gear from these places, they are excellent value.

Tal

No comments:

Post a Comment